Everything is back up and running after a two-alarm fire under the Longfellow Bridge had trains in the area stopped and traffic being diverted.
The fire broke out around 8:20 p.m. Tuesday night. The fire burned through the roof of the bridge, according to police.
MBTA officials said the fire was started by a carelessly discarded cigarette. A homeless man is believed to be behind the fire, which spread to a mattress and then erupted into a two-alarm blaze.
Heavy smoke from the fire forced officials to evacuate and shut down the Charles Street MBTA Station. While "T" service was down, travelers were being bused between stations.
The bridge has been reopened to cars and trains, but but was also shut down for several hours. Both sides of Storrow Drive are also back open to traffic.
Officials say they have deemed the bridge structurally sound after the fire.